Board Member Recruitment Process
Thank you for your interest in running for a position with the Diamond Business Association Inc. (DBA) Board of Directors. We appreciate your willingness to volunteer your leadership services to the Diamond BID.
The types of qualities and skills we are seeking in board nominees are as follows:
“We need people …
- who are adaptive.
- a potential Officer material.
- with a big-picture, strategic perspective.
- with vision both in terms of the Diamond BID community and our organization.
- who can self-fund to participate in meetings.
- who have access to resources and/or networks.
The most important qualities are passion, leadership, and an ability and willingness to work (given that the passion for our mission is there).
Board Member Roles and Responsibilities
All Board Members are expected to demonstrate the following:
- Current business owners or Associate Members at the Diamond Business District.
- A demonstrated interest in and commitment to the DBA mission and a willingness to work collaboratively with other board members and staff to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Be informed about the DBA’s mission, services, policies, and programs.
- Specific experience and/or knowledge in at least one of the following areas: Strategic Planning, Finance, Fundraising, Public Relations, Communications, or Organizational Development.
- Representative of a key aspect or segment of the community or membership.
- A willingness to expand knowledge or board responsibilities through orientation and ongoing training.
- A willingness to represent the DBA and its mission to the public.
- A willingness to participate in fundraising activities.
- Ability and willingness to attend all Board meetings and the Annual General Meeting, and to serve on committees or working groups in between meetings where one’s expertise would add value.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Make a personal financial contribution to the DBA, to the best of your abilities.
- Inform others about the DBA and encourage them to become a member or donor.
- Suggest possible nominees to the board who can make significant contributions to the work of the board and the DBA.
- Abide by the conflict of interest and confidentiality policies.
- Refrain from making requests of the staff that would involve a significant time commitment or be outside of approved work plans without the prior approval of the Executive Director (or, in the case of the Executive Director, the President)
- Follow through on all commitments made to the Board e.g., projects between board meetings.
Responsibilities of all Board Members
- Maintain active involvement in organization affairs.
- Promote the DBA’s brand and identity.
- Oversee the development of the mission.
- Ensure that programs are meeting the mission of the organization.
- Maintain regular contact between Board Members
- Set board policy.
- Oversee the financial health of the organization.
- Participate in fundraising.
- Participate in local activities as appropriate.
- Seek consensus in decision-making.
- Consider service as an Officer of the board.
ABOUT THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Board Powers. Subject to the provisions of the California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law and any limitations in the Articles and these Bylaws relating to action required to be approved by the Members, the business 3 and affairs of the Corporation shall be vested in and exercised by the Corporation’s Board of Directors. The Board may delegate the management of the activities of the Corporation to any person or persons, or committee provided that notwithstanding any such delegation, the activities and affairs of the Corporation shall continue to be managed and all corporate powers shall continue to be exercised under the ultimate direction of the Board.
Term. Directors shall hold office for two years and their terms shall be staggered at one-year intervals, with one-half the number of Directors elected at the annual meeting of the Members.
The term of office begins July 1, 2022, for the following positions:
President-Elect (Two-year commitment)
Subject to the control of the Board of Directors, the President shall have general supervision, direction, and control of the business and affairs of the Corporation. The President shall preside at all meetings of the members and Directors and shall have the powers and duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the Board of Directors. The President shall, each year, submit to the membership a report on the accomplishments of the past year and the objectives for the next year.
Vice President (Two-year commitment)
In the absence or disability of the President, the Vice-President shall perform all duties of the President and, in so acting shall have all the powers of the President. The Vice-President shall have such other powers and perform such other duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the Board of Directors.
Secretary (Two-year commitment)
The Secretary shall keep a full and complete record of the proceedings of the Board of Directors, and of the members, shall keep the seal of the Corporation, shall affix the same to such papers and instruments as may be required in the regular course of business, shall make service of such notices as may be necessary or proper, and shall supervise the keeping of the minute books in the principal office of the Corporation, which shall include these Bylaws. The Secretary shall keep a record of attendance and shall maintain the Corporation’s membership roster. All such corporate records and documents shall be reproduced by the Secretary and distributed to the Board of Directors prior to each regular, special, or annual meeting.
Treasurer (Two-year commitment)
The Chief Financial Officer, who shall be referred to as the Treasurer, shall be responsible for general supervision of the financial affairs of the Corporation, shall make regular financial reports to the Board of Directors and to the membership, and shall perform such other duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the Board of Directors.
If you have questions about Board service, please contact Marco Ortiz via email: email@example.com
If you would like to observe a Board meeting as a guest, please see the Board Meeting Schedule for 2023 (Meeting Frequency/Time: Every 3rd Thursday of each month at 12 pm):
2023 Meeting Dates: (3/16 4/20 5/18 6/15 7/20 8/17 9/21 10/19 11/16 12/21)
OPEN POSITIONS FOR THE 2023-2024 DBA BOARD
- Treasurer Position:
- 2 Board Members Positions
Per the Diamond BID Bylaws
- A Member/Associate Member holding a current City of San Diego business tax certificate and paying the Diamond BID assessment through the City of San Diego Treasurer’s office.
- Must attend two consecutive Board of Directors meetings.
- No person shall serve on the Board for more than four consecutive years, except that a person who has served four years may run for President-Elect.
BOARD MEMBER TIME COMMITMENT
As a Board member, you will be expected to attend the following, please note, there is the following commitments and meetings are in-person meetings:
- Regular Meetings – Board meetings shall be held monthly, at 5003 Imperial Avenue, Suite 114-A, San Diego, CA 92113.
- Special Meetings – Special meetings of the Board of Directors may be called at any time by the President or Vice President or shall be called by the President or Vice President upon written application of a majority of all Directors or a majority of all members.
BOARD MEMBER CONSENT FORMS
Each Board member is expected to adhere to and sign the following:
- DBA Conflict of Interest Policy
- DBA Anti-Harassment, Non-Discrimination, and Inclusion Policy
- DBA Non-Disclosure Agreement
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out Board Member Application. Full and complete applications, including references and resume, and sent to the Diamond BID Administrative office firstname.lastname@example.org
The Executive Committee shall hold two (2) meetings to interview candidates which can be in person or virtual meetings.
Bylaws Fourth Amendment April 19, 2016
Thank you again, for your interest in serving the Diamond Business Association!
5003 Imperial Avenue Ste. 114-A
San Diego, CA 92113